Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 08, 2008

---------

From: Terry Marney (terrylou63_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 08:42:33 PDT

Hi all. I've been teaching art at the high school level for a few years now and am looking for ideas for my clay class. It's an introductory level class. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get students to pitch in and be responsible for clay cleanup. We have a recycled clay bin, which nobody ever wants to mix. Nobody ever wants to load the plaster trough with wet recycled clay. Clay tools are haphazardly cleaned and left wherever. How do others make kids accountable for those types of jobs without constantly nagging? I've tried making a poster to keep track of who does what. I've told them that studio maintenance is worth 25% of their grade. They just don't take it seriously and then are shocked when their grades aren't great. Any suggestions? I'd love to look at any rubrics or other ideas!Terry