Re: [teacherartexchange] staff development for the arts ideas

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 05:09:39 PDT

>Gabrielle in Minneapolis wrote:
>
>I am looking for some GOOD professional development models for staff development for the
>arts. I work in a pay for performance school and currently I have to implement a lot of
>reading strategies and other things to "prove" that I am a good teacher and doing my work.
>So, when I did the schedule last spring, I wrote it so that all of the arts staff (2 visual art, 2
>media arts and 2 graphics teachers) meet at the same time for our "professional
>development" time. Now, I would like to find a model where we could work on improving our
>arts instruction instead of these building wide reading things. Anyone know of anything?

It is great that you are able to include professional development.

As part of professional development, might identify what is learned in studio art classes that is not being learned in other parts of the curriculum? What is learned in studio art classes that is helpful for everybody's success in life? Are the state and federal art standards the most important things that should actually be learned in art classes, or are their ways of learning and skills that are not covered in the standards? To what extent should studio art be learned through self-constructed knowledge vs. the behavior management of prescribed assignments and "followed the directions" rubrics? How do art students respond to various art teacher dispositions and personalities? How are student minds developed in art classes? What are the unique kinds of brain neurons nurtured by the different instructional approaches used in an art studio? How have the best artists in the world learned to become the world's best artists? What are the issues that art teachers would like to inv
 estigate in their classrooms? What about forming a list of basic art learning topics/issues and invite art teachers to select the topics they are willing to study (and conduct classroom experiments) and help the other teachers become familiar with their topic?

Marvin Bartel

Adjunct in Art Education
studio phone: 574-533-0171

Art & Learning to Think & Feel (Home Page in Art Education)
www.goshen.edu/art/ed/art-ed-links.html

"We need to remember that we are created creative and can invent new scenarios as frequently as they are needed." -- Maya Angelou