[teacherartexchange] Crazy Art Teacher/shoe lesson plans

---------

From: Ruby Re-Usable (rubyreusable_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 20:58:02 PDT

Just got back from vacation and wanted to respond to crazy art teacher
shoes, I am a "teaching artist" in the schools (Washington State
Arts Commission roster of artists), my specialty is art from recycled
materials, and I try to wear entire outfits illustrating the "reduce,
reuse, recycle" message in as artsy a way as is comfortable, ala "Miss
Frizzle" from Magic School Bus. The students' and teachers'
walk" in an appropriately visual way.

For a special treat, I wear my "Dale Chihuly Shoes," which were
splattered by Dale himself, using Golden brand acrylics that are
labeled "special Chihuly fluids" (for reals, I have a bottle). More
info/pics HERE (www.rubyreusable.com/artblog/?p=80)

I do a whole unit about shoes, from line drawings to imaginary shoe
ads to creating 3-D sculptural shoes from recycled materials; there is
so much to learn about civilization (both western and eastern) through
the study of evolving footwear, along with shoes in fine art (ala Andy
Warhol and ??)

anyone else do shoes as a subject/lesson/unit?

ps the Fuller Craft Museum (www.fullercraft.org/) is reaching out to
artists of every craft media for an upcoming exhibition The Perfect
Fit - Shoes Tell Stories, an exhibition exploring how shoes can tell
stories, addressing topics such as gender, history, sexuality, race,
class, and culture.

love, etc Ruby
rubyreusable@gmail.com
Olympia Dumpster Divers, THE blog for recycled art!
www.rubyreusable.com/artblog