[teacherartexchange] sketch/scrapbook

---------

From: christy hedman (christyhedman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 04:38:39 PDT

Lesa,
Your scrap/sketchbooks sound wonderful. THey do remind me a little of the boxes of stuff ANdy WArhol collected. If you ever get to Pittsburgh, I think they have  them archived and stored at the Warhol museum(reciepts, napkins, sketches, shoes...). I would love to see how you attached those flattened glasses to your book. I guess the idea strikes me so much because it is a very personal reflection of your day/life. When an outsider looks at your gum wrappers, she only sees gum arappers, but you see what, who, where you were when you were chewing that gum! For me, my art is made up of so much of my past experiences and it takes some time for them to reveal themselsves to me. But you have it all right there! It sounds almost magical. If you ever post them online, please let us know!
Christy

---
Another project relates to artist's sketchbook. I wish the sketchbook
would work with me! It doesn't. So I've found one that does. I call it
my
stuff diaries.. its a cross between an artist's sketchbook, scrapbook
(clippings), journal (sort of), travel diary.. etc. This started in 2002
for me when I travelled to study in England, and it continues today.
This process is a matter of filling sketchbooks, scrapbooks, old books,
with common and unique things found, personal traces, wrappers from fast
food I ate, receipts, family photos, from the mundane, pop culture,
collages, etc. It seems to be an ongoing project.. This seems very
unartistic, since the media is not traditional except for the sketchbook.
I collect things in my pockets and bags, at the end of the day they are
emptied, and later layer pages or begin new ones. It might have come to an
end recently because I've been living in the same place for a few years,
but it continues. I have some ideas about showing them, if it happens..
Its a curious thing for me, and interesting to look back at the early
books. The feelings or memories are different much more direct and surface
quickly about the grocery stores, the sidewalk, the city corner where I
picked up the flatten glasses. Very different than say the photo album.
I've become abit of a sketchbook/scrapbook hound as well so I peruse every
dollar shop for them so I have many choices to begin a new book.
enuf already, but thanks for the space to let some of this out.
Lesa
--web based art projects and education projects-- www.exhibit905.info--