Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] art room furniture

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 08:45:07 PDT

Thanks so much to everyone who has commented on my question--I really really
appreciate the feedback. I think I am going to hold off on a decision about
stools for now, until I feel more certain. A number of things were brought
up that I hadn't considered--like kids falling off (they fall off the
chairs, too, and I have to remind many to sit on them approprately), and I
didn't consider special needs students........

I can sure relate to those who mentioned the awful scraping sound the chairs
make on the floor (I have a linoleum floor). My predecessor had put the
tennis balls on the legs. They sure did help--but aesthetically, I hated
them. And I got so tired of the continual question "why are there tennis
balls on the chairs?" And, when they started coming off and would bounce
all over the room. I think a box cutter is what was used--it was REALLY
hard to cut into them. Our cutodian finally took them all off, and put
something different on the bottom--almost looks like velcro, it doesn't work
as well, but better than nothing.

If anyone else has comments, I would still like to hear them. I thought I
could check the archives, but it seems really hard to try to find anything
there. I don't really remember any specific discussion on this topic, but I
know art room furniture issues have been discussed over the years.

An unrelated note--googling the topic, I got into the Getty archives, then
realized they are there all the way to 1995. Just for fun, I clicked onto a
date in 1996, and landed on one of my own messages--back when we had only
one computer in the building that was connected to the internet--and I had
to use that teacher's e-mail address--it was really hard to get online
there, we only had several phone lines in our building. Wow, things have
sure changed.

Mary H.