Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 03, 2008

---------

From: christy hedman (christyhedman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 04:44:01 PDT

Congratulations on your new job! I agree, if more of "us" were admin, the learning would be so much richer!! I wanted to toot the horn of one former art teacher, principal and now ( and always) art proponent Dr. Sarah Tambucci of Pittsburgh. She and others have founded the Arts Education Collaborative of Pittsburgh
www.artsedcollaborative.org
This organization pulls together administration, community and the arts to strengthen the arts presence in schools. Each summer they host a week long workshop called the "Leadership Academy". ( They ARE busy all year round!) This workshop pulls together music, art, phys ed, dance, theater and local arts groups for a week of brainstorming, problem solving, learning, inspiration and a PLAN to go back to your school and administration with an arts focused project. Mine was to do an Artist in Residency at our middle school - I teach at the high school. By having the support of this organization I was able to do this without jumping through upper admin hoops. Best wishes on this new endeavor- lucky school!
Christy

just got hired as the assistant principal at the middle school that I have
taught Art in for 21 years. I know that it is rare that 'one of us'
becomes
'one of them' but maybe more of us should. I'd like to be the one
challenge more Art teachers to become administrators. Perhaps we can change
the world one school building at a time. I think it is high time we started
driving this train instead of being railroaded.

I told my principal last year that if you mix all of the subjects of a
school together to bake a cake, that cake is going to taste like crap unless
you add the Art, Music, Shop, etc. 'Cause I'm the sugar baby! He
laughed
but I was serious. How many kids wake up and look forward to Math? They
look forward to us. We need to flex a little muscle in our worlds. We need
to point out that we are the carrots on the sticks that lead these kids to
school.