Re: [teacherartexchange] Schedule

---------

From: John Schuler (schulerart1028_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 19:30:18 PDT

I'd like to chime in on this one.

I just got hired as the assistant principal at the middle school that I have
taught Art in for 21 years. I know that it is rare that 'one of us' becomes
'one of them' but maybe more of us should. I'd like to be the one to
challenge more Art teachers to become administrators. Perhaps we can change
the world one school building at a time. I think it is high time we started
driving this train instead of being railroaded.

I told my principal last year that if you mix all of the subjects of a
school together to bake a cake, that cake is going to taste like crap unless
you add the Art, Music, Shop, etc. 'Cause I'm the sugar baby! He laughed
but I was serious. How many kids wake up and look forward to Math? They
look forward to us. We need to flex a little muscle in our worlds. We need
to point out that we are the carrots on the sticks that lead these kids to
school.

Just some random thoughts.