Re: [teacherartexchange] Crazy art teacher

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 13:46:04 PDT

We must be kindred spirits. I just got two pair of designer shoes from a place that provides clothing for the poor. The poor did not want these. I suspect it is because these are fancy high healed shoes and not too practical for daily wear...alas, the wealthy donate what they have to the poor.

One pair is made by Prada. I have great plans for these shoes. I plan to decorate them in the way you have suggested too...with recycled materials. The Prada shoes will be a challenge since I am not sure what will stick. I will need to experiment. In the past, I have been inspired by the folk art techniques of the Ouaxacans in Mexico. They combine animal forms together to create a wood sculpture and paint wood sculptures with brightly colored paint.

I have my elementary education majors create shoe assemblage self-portraits with recycled shoes or their own old shoes. They love the activity, mostly because they don't have to draw...but they can be successful by adding 3d objects of their own choosing.

Glad their is someone else who has a fascination for shoes.

Cheers,

Diane