Re: [teacherartexchange] Summer workshop

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 07:29:57 PDT

Sandy -
I love the workshops too - I would have to say that in 25+ years of
teaching the two workshops that I have done through the Metropolitan
Museum of art are some of the best PD I have participated in... both
were on-line workshops. I have to admit I have done other on-line
distance PD, but I was a little intimidated to try something like this
- I am not especially computer savvy. But the way the technology is
incorporated into the lessons makes it easy to become more familiar
with possibilities. In the spring I incorporated our own wiki pages
in class as well as utilized the voicethreads for a lesson. Since the
workshops I have been able to create some blogs - both personal and
professional. The art aspect is of course great - but the secondary
skills through technology were wonderful too -

If anyone knows of any other museum workshops like this I would love
to know more about them - this was a wonderful experience - even
though I don't live close enough to the museum to take advantage of
on-site activities - what a treasure!
Ellen

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:12 AM, San D Hasselman <shasselman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just finished an on site workshop called World Views: Landscapes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. There was a companion online course called Global Perspectives Exploring Landscapes. I recommend the Metropolitan Museum's courses highly. Teachers from all over the world worked online in a collaborative method using a variety of technological wonders including voicethread.com, as well as an internal system (epsilen.com) to have live chats, as well as blogging as they were guided through their landscape experiences. We, at the on site workshop, had the benefit of seeing the paintings, and working with the museum educators directly. We communicated through blogging and photos about our experiences with the online teachers. (The online teachers were a closer bunch in terms of communicating with each other, as they were working a week longer that we were). Our week culminated with having some of the online teachers joining us at the museum. I am fortunate enough to live within commuting distance to th
e museum, and am able to avail myself of its riches. The program is run by William Crowe. You receive so much information, exercises to do with your students, insights, and the collaboration with other educators. Not everyone involved is an art teacher, or ap teacher, some are in other disciplines. I think that only adds to the richness of the experience. At one point we even got to go paint outside in Central Park to get the experience of painting en plein air. On Monday when the museum is closed we got an educational tour of the Turner exhibit, and one of my prized possessions is the catalogue which we received. We also spent a great deal of time examining the chinese garden installed in the museum, as well as chinese landscape scroll paintings, and I received the teacher packet to that exhibit as well, complete with DVD, slides and written commentary.