Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] What is your process?

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2008 - 16:24:48 PDT

It's been so long since I thought about my process - I think I'm on
auto pilot now.
But when I need to refresh my thinking - I get my copy of "Art &
Fear" by David
Bates and Ted Orland.

On confronting a disappointing piece of work an artist might be heard
to say:
"That's not what I meant to do; I should have made it larger, or
maybe smaller;
If only I'd had more time or........."
                                                        From, Art & Fear

That reminds me of a story Jae Drummond (a local artist) tells often:
"Do you know the difference between an Artist and a Puppy ?
Well - eventually the Puppy stops whining."

"What counts, in making art, is the actual fit between the contents
of your head
and the qualities of your materials. The knowledge you need to make
that fit
comes from noticing what really happens as you work - the way the
respond, and the way that response (and resistance) suggest new ideas
to you."
                                                        From, Art & Fear

As a watercolor artist - I know the above statement to be especially

On Aug 2, 2008, at 4:26 PM, Patricia Knott wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2008, at 3:48 PM, wrote:
>> What are the art making habits of our students? How do we make them
>> more aware and encourage them to leverage their very personal habits
>> for successful art making? How do we support multiple approaches
>> to art
>> making in busy school life? Would the all of the list members quoted
>> above be comfortable in our classrooms?

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

Read My Blog:

Watercolors on Note Cards