Re: [teacherartexchange] What is your process?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2008 - 15:26:49 PDT

On Aug 2, 2008, at 3:48 PM, twoducks@aol.com wrote:

> What are the art making habits of our students? How do we make them
> more aware and encourage them to leverage their very personal habits
> for successful art making? How do we support multiple approaches to
> art
> making in busy school life? Would the all of the list members quoted
> above be comfortable in our classrooms?

Kathy's questions at the end of the list of processes are something
we NEED to consider. When I first started teaching my best advice
came from a Phys Ed teacher --- how do you break down the skill? I
got good at that, and felt comfortable with skills and tried to
tackle "Ideas". 15 years later I'm still working on ideas. My
process ha been to figure how we make associations and translate to a
visual form.
Most of the general population isn't going to sketch or take photos
---- they want to be led.

So how do we lead the thinking process?

One thing i learned very early own is that most people don't see
what I see. What s[pend my time doing is finding the ways my kids
see and then giving the methods - with justification- to transform
that sight.

I used to sketch, I don't anymore. I collect...... everybody
collects something. I work on the "whys" of the collection.
If you look at the processes listed there are a lot of assumptions
about vision ( composition and such).

we can't assume any of that

  we can assume that everybody has an idea
so our job is to see that the ideas get to a place and maybe that
place is often crude. But the idea and pursuit matters

Patty