Re:[teacherartexchange] Scope and Sequence in Middle School

---------

From: June Covington (jcovington2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2008 - 07:46:32 PDT

>It's easy for
>me to make up a plan that fits the job and satisfies
>the Principal of the school, in a rudimentary fashion,
>but I want to make the scope & sequence apply to the
>students in terms of environment, cultural differences
>and language arts, keeping in mind the time
>constraints,

John, you bring up a great point. I think we all eventually keep "two sets of books". I have found it most useful to have a simple scope and sequence for the administration and parents with a more thoughtful "list" of my own based on the intangible outcomes I am looking for. In my montessori past, we wrote out our "direct aims" and our "indirect aims" the second usually being the internalized lesson we hoped the students would take away from the lesson.

 In the end, it is these values that the parents mention in letters and conversations rather than saying "Thank you for teaching my child to appropriately comparing works of art". I can not say that I ever write these things down but they are always my goal.

Is it possible to write scope and sequence that also educate the adults (parents and administrators) on the intangible but essential lessons of the art room? Would anyone read them?

June Covington