Re: [teacherartexchange] Schedule

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2008 - 06:47:43 PDT

Oh - I think you hit the nail on the head - wouldn't a reasonable
administrator be a dream?

My superintendent told me that when he was a teacher all he needed was
a pencil and a book to teach (as in do you need all of the
paper/prints and books?)... and he was surprised that the music
teacher would have any parent meetings on conference day because he
could see parents come in for 'a real subject' but not music. He
thought she would have a pretty easy work day....

Our principal - bless his heart... former assistant principal...
former PE teacher/coach (unfortunately all at our small school... his
planbook used to have S O C C E R written across the page - tell
you anything?) he loves numbers/rules/procedures so he will be more
concerned with sign out sheets in the classroom discipline cards than
great thinking.... as long as the color coordinated schedule looks
great - it doesn't matter what is best for the students - we have had
that discussion.

And our schedule (essential arts) is created to give grade level
teachers common planning time - it doesn't matter if they have to
double classes, regroup classes, cut time or make sure your planning
is in 15 minute increments.... we know what your role in the school
is.....

but I also know what my role is in a child's life - and that takes
priority. A reasonable administrator - I know they exist...