Re: [teacherartexchange] Artistic process

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 07:41:00 PDT

On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:57 AM, Susan Bennett wrote:

> I have found that sketching on the back of the agendas> during
> those painful inservices my district requires at the> begining of
> the year (3 days worth!!!!) produces wonderful> ideas. I have a few
> years worth of sketches I am still> working from. When I'm feeling
> like I'm not making> any artistic progress, I flip them over for a
> reality check-> making art of any kind is progress compared to
> sitting> through adminsitration meetings. Many times I have found>
> some old sketches and much to my delight I will have already> made
> something from that page!

For years - I sketched continually during inservice and ed conference
lectures. Actually my drawings were an attempt to translate the
concepts being
presented into some sort of visual format. It was a very effective
way of getting many concepts into my brain. It was also a method
which kept
me awake during these long boring sessions.

Here is an example of my "Visual Note Taking":
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog08/LevelsOfAquisitionLrg.jpg

As visual learners, I believe this is a very effective way to
comprehend and retain material. I even attempted to teach the technique
to my students.
                                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net