[teacherartexchange] Way cool acquisition :-)

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 21:08:04 PDT

I am SUCH a scavenger! Every couple of years I crawl around in an
electrician friend's shed to get scrap pieces of entrance cable. When
stripped and unwound, the wire inside is some of the best I've found for
sculptures--strong, but very pliable. I've also been dumpster diving at
Sam's Club (with a manager's permission) to get plastic bathing suit forms
that we used in various ways (to make molds, casts, to collage, etc.)

I subscribe to our local "Freecycle" online group and last week I scooped up
about a dozen mirrors that were being offered. :-)

I also subscribe to a local "Buy, Sell, Trade" online message board and
yesterday I saw something ...interesting... at a very reasonable price...

I considered the possibilities: what could I actually DO with this, if I
were to buy it? I knew I'd pay for it myself, given that most of my budget
has already been spent on "real" supplies, but I made the decision to go for
it. And that explains why I have an absolutely gorgeous full-size female
mannequin in perfect condition--just like what you see in clothing
stores--in pieces in the back seat of the car! I've got a couple of kids
interested in fashion design so there are lots of possibilities there for
projects and she's the perfect "model" for figure drawing because she's not
going to giggle or need to stretch.

I told some of the kids that I was planning to buy a mannequin today and
they said we'd have to choose a name for her. I told our photography
teacher about it and he's already brainstorming. Should be a fun addition
to our class!