Re: [teacherartexchange] frustration -- ESL student

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 16:41:40 PDT

This is a little on a tangent, but we actually had quite a bit of fun using
Freetranslation to translate something (such as a tv theme song) into
another language (like German or Portugese), then highlighted the entire
foriegn translation, pasted it in the "translate" box, and translated it
back into English. The results were often QUITE funny! I got the idea to
do this when I tried, about 10 years ago, to use Freetranslation to
translate a letter I wrote in English into French to send to my French
friend. I though she'd be impressed that I sent her a letter in French, but
instead she was pretty confused and amused by the many incorrect/slightly
"off" and funny mistranslations!! This may even have some educational
application.. See below for one of these "cross-(mis)translations" for the
Brady Bunch song...
-Lydia in Toledo

The Brady Bunch

Here the history of a lady charming that raised three very charming girls.
The all had hairs of now, as their mother; the youngest the one, in the
buckles. Here the history of a man named Brady that was occupied with three
boys of his possess. They were four men that live all body, but they were
all only one. Until the day one when this lady met this friend, and they
knew that it was a lot more than a premonition - than this group would form
of a manner or of another a family. That is the manner became for us the
Package of Brady!