Re: [teacherartexchange] frustration -- ESL student

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 07:13:31 PDT

Becky,

I work in a smaller midwestern school district and
have occasionally had one to two students who come
into my classes with limited English level. Many are
only with me two to three months, others the whole
year. Spanish is the main language I have to deal
with.

If I use a textbook I see if the textbook is printed
in Spanish. I have also spent some time learning
basic spanish to help communicate. I have also asked
for volunteers from the community who have extensive
Spanish background to help in the classroom. All this
has made it easier for me to communicate. The
students with limited English background do appreciate
the effort taken to make them part of the class.

Their is also translation software available that you
can type test, written materials into in order to
communicate with students and parents.

I relate very well to your situation.

Jeff (Minnesota)