[teacherartexchange] frustration -- ESL student

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 06:42:20 PDT

Hi, all. I hope this is OK to post here.

I have an ESL student from Guatamala. She knows very little English.
What English she knows is OK for things like "turn to page 132 and do
problems one through 50" but not so great for things like, "Okay,
today we are going to study the impressionists and the way they used
color to emphasize light and shadow." While she can learn visually by
example (she's great at mimicing what I'm doing if I demonstrate a
method) I'm not sure she really gets the spoken part of what I'm
talking about.

She is very shy, so she will nod and say "OK" and pretend she knows
what I'm talking about, but I have no clue what she gets or doesn't
get.

Any tips on working with a language barrier? I'm new at this. When I
worked at a public school ESL kids had translators part of the time,
but my tiny private school doesn't have much to deal with ESL.

Becky