Re: [teacherartexchange] the environment

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 05:53:00 PDT

Diane,

In our school district when we order supplies we get
sheets from the suppliers of the issues or concerns
with certain materials. So we know what is in the
materials.

You bring up a good point with all the toys and now I
see in some art materials that are coming from China
the presents of lead.

I have found with my tempra and acrylic paint jugs
that if washed out the recycling center will take
them. Our school buys recycled construction paper.
When you order supplies you can ask the supplier if
they have the materials.

You can order recycled pencils. Recycled papers. Again
check with your supplier to see if they have them.

I have worked hard cutting down the use of plastic
things that cannot be recycled. All our paper can be
recycled. I have a "large" blue recycling container
in my room. I talk with the students not to waste
paper and save the trees by using up all the paper,
pull from the recycling bin if they need to test
something or practice something.

The key is getting the students in a mind set early.
I teach elementary and high school art so I train
their thinking early and when they come back to me in
high school they remember the routine.

I did find sometimes when trying to be eco friendly
one uses more of something because the recycled
material the product is made of does not hold up under
the wear and tear of students.

Here are some possible links:

http://www.artsupply.com/headerpages/enviroment%20friendly.htm

http://multimedia.imprintink.com/enviro-friendly-art-guide.shtml