[teacherartexchange] Printing lesson idea (Elem - MS)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 10:53:01 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I often did a lesson with my middle school students where they
extended the print. The printed image was part of a larger work. This
idea works out well if you have limited printing supplies as students
who are not printing can be working on the larger drawings.

Here is a lesson idea from Arts & Activities.
http://www.artsandactivities.com/Page/Articles06/A110632.pdf
Students did "The Scream" (What makes them want to scream?). The
printed image (the scream part) is 6" x 9" (although write up says 9 x
12). The rest of the composition can be finished with colored pencils,
markers, oil pastels, construction paper crayons....etc. My favorite
lesson that I did with this was a Romare Bearden inspired lesson. The
rest of the composition was finished with collage and drawing. We use
photographs of students from around the school as subject (they were
actually photos left over from the Yearbook).

The tricky part is registering the printed image with the rest of the
drawing. Trace the rectangle of the printing plate lightly on 12 x 18
paper (article says white - yet they used light colored construction
paper for the examples shown) - leave that part of the page clear of
any marks. Carefully line up the inked plate. Remember that the print
will be a reversed image - so original drawing needs to be reversed
when transferring to printing plate. Like the article, we planned the
composition on 12 x 18 newsprint and selected an interesting part to
be our printed image. My students did reduction lino-cuts.

If anyone does this activity - Extending the Print - send examples to
Incredible Art Department. Folks are always looking for printing
ideas.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department