Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] art history projects


From: Ray Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2007 - 20:16:10 PDT

We made our mummies out of oranges and potatoes- the orange was the
body, they made tools out of wire to remove the inside- we discussed
how bodies were prepared for mummification. We made heads out of
pieces of potato and they carved faces in them. They put the potato
and orange together with a piece of wire. Then we buried them in
salt- seems like it was a mix of salt and baking soda- we put them in
plastic trays and left them for about a month. Unburied them, then
wrapped them. We made paper mache sarcophagus. Some kids extended it
and made canopic jars out of a jar with a screw on lid by covering it
with paper mache and using the paper mache pulp to build the head on
It was fun- did it with 6th graders about 4 or 5 years ago and they
still come back and talk about it, and I still see a sarcophogus left
in a few teacher's rooms.

On Aug 25, 2007, at 12:46 PM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> I remember teachers at my Middle School having students mummify
> chicken legs.

To unsubscribe go to