Re: [teacherartexchange] art history projects

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 18:37:25 PDT

An Egypt-based project my hs students had fun with was "mummified" barbies
with plaster "mummy cases". The hardest part was collecting enough
"deceased" barbies and barbie-like dolls for all the students! First, the
students trimmed the hair on the longer dolls to make them easier to work
with. While they were preparing the dolls for "mummification", I discussed
the actual process - organ removal, dessication, etc. Then, they wrapped
the barbies with 1/2 inch masking tape - we discussed how this would have
been done with fabric, how patterns were created in the wrapping, and the
various amulets etc. that were wrapped in. Finally, they covered the figure
with plast-r-craft strips, adding forms if they wanted a protruding beard,
crossed arms, feet that stuck out forwards, etc. I really emphasized
smoothing the plast-r-craft gauze VERY smooth for easier painting. We also
discusssed how the material used to make real mummy cases was actually quite
similar to the plaster strips. When they were dry, they penciled in their
bands of decoration, and painted the designs with tempera (I gave them a
selection of colors based on actual mummy cases - I think it was turquoise,
cobalt blue, red-orange, ivory, black, and reddish-brown). They had a LOT
of fun with this, and most of the "mummies" looked really cool! I displayed
them with some info on mummification; the "mummies" had a string loop
hot-glued to the back of the head, then were stapled to the wall on a piece
of black paper.
-Lydia in Toledo