Re:[teacherartexchange] paint questions

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 09:41:08 PDT

Gouache is basically opaque watercolor, and as such,
is used like watercolor on paper. The pigments in
gouache are ground much finer than those in tempera
and are of much higher quality. I would not recommend
using gouache like tempera, mostly because of the
expense. Tempera tends to be a low-cost paint, suited
to paintings on paper and paper mache, and little
else, in my opinion. I stopped using tempera many
years ago for anything besides 2D work because of its
inherent technical problems, including low quality and
its tendency to flake and crack on 3D projects.
Acrylic is better suited to this task, as well as
being almost as cheap as tempera.

I have been a water colorist for over 30 years, and
have used gouache occasionally in my work, but not
extensively. I know watercolorists who use the medium
exclusively, and seem willing to lose the transparent
qualities of watercolor.

Hope this helps, Jerry
artguyvilenski.com