RE: [teacherartexchange] Bulletin Boards

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 16:07:27 PDT

Dear mb,

mb said...
... our back to school night is within two weeks of school starting and I
like to have something up for the parents to see. Last year I did a huge
mural with the words Welcome Back written in black sharpie. I then drew a
grid on the back similar to the game battleship. I then proceeded to cut
the mural according to the grid and made another mural with the grid drawn
on it columns with letters and rows by number. For each class on the first
day the students picked a piece of the grid paper and drew a pattern on it,
over the black sharpie, in color and then placed it on the grid according to
the coordinates written on the back. It was so much fun seeing the words
being pieced together and the secret message come alive. The students loved
it and the sign was so colorful! Math and art together! After the mural
was completed I showed images of Chuck Close to the students

I love this idea. But I am having a difficult time envisioning the finished
project.Are the patterns all over the backgroung and the words in thick
black sharpie?

I did something similiar for an art night activity last spring. We had a
visiting author from Alaska. So I copied a painting (from her book cover-
and actually changed it by simplifying it) of Denali. Each student painted
an 8" square from this painting divided up in a grid. They got a 2" square
of what to paint. It was really fun to see it all go together.

MJHadley