[teacherartexchange] Bulletin Boards

---------

From: mbortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 14:29:22 PDT

Hi All,

I was in my classroom again today setting up for the start of the new year
and I wanted to share a bulletin board idea.

I collect art images from old calendars, art magazines and museum bulletins
all year to hang them up during the school year. Last year I covered my
walls with portraits of all kinds and my beginning lessons were based on
portraits.

This year I have groupings of similar subject matter in all types of
mediums. Many times my students (k-5) will finish early and make me
beautiful pictures to keep and I hang them in my personal gallery behind my
desk. This year I plan on introducing the different "stations" of art
groupings and have some dialogue on what is similar and what is different,
media used, style and so on. Then when the students have some free-time
after completing their assigned lesson I will ask them to study a station
and create their own piece for the gallery. For example, over the sink I
have seascapes and boats, behind my desk are horses, on closet doors I have
cityscapes, etc. During the year I will change the images and subject
matter to keep it fresh and interesting. I am intending the artwork to be a
continuing project that they can submit at anytime the student feels they
are finished. (I have a closet of all types of media for them to pick and
choose what they want to use to complete the project).

Also, our back to school night is within two weeks of school starting and I
like to have something up for the parents to see. Last year I did a huge
mural with the words Welcome Back written in black sharpie. I then drew a
grid on the back similar to the game battleship. I then proceeded to cut
the mural according to the grid and made another mural with the grid drawn
on it columns with letters and rows by number. For each class on the first
day the students picked a piece of the grid paper and drew a pattern on it,
over the black sharpie, in color and then placed it on the grid according to
the coordinates written on the back. It was so much fun seeing the words
being pieced together and the secret message come alive. The students loved
it and the sign was so colorful! Math and art together! After the mural
was completed I showed images of Chuck Close to the students.

It was so successful that I plan on doing it again this year, but with a
different message of course! This time I drew a cartoon of our school
mascot with the school name around it.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas I use, I hope my little contribution
helps someone as much I have been in the past.

mb