Re:[teacherartexchange] Mosaics panels-help needed with methods

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 20:07:36 PDT

You'll need this:

http://www.thistothat.com/

and, I am no pro, but I have done a few mosaic's.

This summer I apprenticed with a local mosaic artist and learned alot about
large installations that would have been really helpful on some of my school
projects - like: ALWAYS make more grout than you think you need - because
you'll always need more than you think you do!

I did a number of projects with various different grades of material... from
5th - 12th

With your limited budget, I think you should consider getting really
creative about your tiles. I talked the guys at Home Depot into saving
broken bathroom tiles for me... they usually throw them out, so you need to
get there frequently. We had enough to cover a 3' x 6' table.

(I of course ran out of grout and later cracked the grout when trying to
move the 200 lb table, but I have learned SO much since then!)

If I was doing a project like yours, I be soliciting parents, braking plates
and scavenging for tiles. There are some very cool results you can get from
mixing up the tiles (media).

Sounds like a great project! Hope you have lots of fun.

Leah

check out: http://americanmosaics.org/SAMAindex.aspx?id=Media&item=1 This is
the artist I worked for this summer - it was awesome, this was the
installation I helped with:
http://groups.msn.com/JuanitasWork/architecturalinstallations.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=416,
not this is Juanita's work, I was the helper!