[teacherartexchange] Koinoburi -- adaptable for gradeschool/middle

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 14:59:10 PDT

Wow, you guys are blowing up my blog! Thanks for all the response on
my Koi fish. A few of you have requested a lesson plan for it. I
don't have a formal lesson plan, but here's what I do:

I give each student a big (12" X 24") piece of construction paper, two
4" squares of white drawing paper, two 12" X 2" strips of colored
paper, and a 12" X 24" piece of tissue paper, and a black crayon.
Sometimes we discuss color schemes and the kids have to pick their
colors from a specific color scheme, or sometimes I just let them have
fun. :)

I then instruct them to think about fish and the texture of their
scales. I ask them to come up with their own fish texture and draw it
all over the construction paper with the crayon. I encourage them to
each come up with a unique fishy texture, but most just like to make
wavy lines for scales.

Then, I ask them to cut the tissue paper into triangles, lengthwise,
making some wide and some thin.

I instruct them to roll the construction paper into a tube, long-ways, and glue.

I then show them how to accordion-fold the biggest tissue paper
triangle. This becomes the dorsal fin -- just fold up a little flap
and glue it along the fish's back (opposite the seam.)

Then, we glue the rest of the tissue triangles inside the tail,
letting them hang down like fringe, make two eyes out of the white
squares, and lips out of the colored strips.

It's really usually something I do when I need a one-day lesson that's
sort of a no-brainer for 6th graders. It's probably more suited for
younger kids, but they always love them, so we keep making them. It's
a pretty good lesson plan for illustrating both color harmonies and
texture, though, and it's a good one for demonstrating the importance
of following directions, too.

Photo and cultural info here:
http://carpethis.blogspot.com/2007/03/koinoburi.html

Enjoy!