Re: [teacherartexchange] Mosaics panels-help needed with methods

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 08:23:20 PDT

I'm not an expert, but I have done two large ceramic
murals (one indoor, the other outdoor). In my opinion
(and I could be wrong), I believe that drawing boards
are too flimsy. I would suggest using heavier wood or
even better, they make a type of plaster board for
this (sold at home depot). Home depot helped me out
with my projects a lot, they gave me breaks and even
donated money. Also, local tile stores were happy to
donate tiles, however I'm in California and don't know
how your local businesses are?? I know you mentioned
glass venetian tiles, but I am having a hard time
imagining your budget accomodating these expensive
tiles. We used a lot of pre-fab tile that we broke up
into pieces and then re-arranged. This however could
be dangerous with your little ones. We also used alos
of plates and vintage tile patterns that we got from
donations and picking up at the local salvation army.
Hope this helps. Jen