RE: [teacherartexchange] more first day?

---------

From: Melissa (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 18:54:43 PDT

I teach 7th and 8th grade. I'm not sure if these ideas will help for High
School, but here goes.

1. I have a table with a tons of paper strips (about 1"x12 or 18")and
masking tape. On the first day of class I never go over anything from my
syallabus. I ask each table to grab a few handfuls of paper strips and work
as a small group to come up with something three-dimensional. They can
fold, bend ot twist the paper- even tape it to the table for stability. I
give them about 20-25 mibutes to come up with something. They are also
required to give their sculpture a title. The groups always come up with so
many different things. I photograph students working on their sculptures
and then take a shot of the final product with everyone in the group around
it (I put these together as a slideshow for open House. It's a great way to
show parents what the students were doing their very first day of school.
Plus every student is represented.) We take a moment to walk around and
look at all of the sculptures. Then I take the last few minutes of class to
talk about personal expression. We look at the diversity of "answers" to
the sculpture problem and I tell them that I want to see that same diversity
within their projects. Last year I ask students to make an outfit out of
the strips for someone at their table. It was very FUN!

2. Here's a link to the project I did with my 7th graders last year. Each
student looked at the bottom of their shoe and drew it onto a piece of
tagboard. I cut paper strips for students to make the top of a flip flop.
Students created a magazine collage of images that describe them along with
their name. It was a great way for me to get to know them and they really
loved working on their shoes. I displayed the flip flops walking down the
hallway with a sign that said "Look who strolled into the artroom . . ."
http://frecklephoto.com/2006/09/01/fun-flip-flops/