RE: [teacherartexchange] "make it take it" question

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2007 - 08:27:17 PDT

Here's a project that would tie into your printmaking background and believe
it or not, tattooing and grafitti, hardly cost you anything, and you would
use the school's supplies (except for the paint, which you could buy at your
local Home Depot, as oops paint, or just get a gallon of one color). I have
my AP Art History students do it every year after the exam, and they love
it. I get file folders from the main office's storeroom (every office has
file folders, otherwise go to your local Sam's Club/BJ's warehouse and get a
big old box. Have them make a drawing that can be turned into a stencil
(think tribal, think contour line drawing, etc).My AP Students did Venus of
Willendorf (cracked me up, and I wear mine proudly), Andy Warhol Yellow
Banana, Keith Harrings dogs/babies, that sort of thing. Show them BANKSY
stencils from London (Look up online if you haven't seen them before) Have
them use the file folders to cut out the stencils (ok, so you will need
knives for this one, but my kids have used scissors successfully as well). I
then take the stencils to the Library and have the librarian laminate them,
then the kids recut them. But if you don't have time, we have stenciled
without the lamination. The lamination just helps keep the stencil for later
use. Then kids stencil their shirts, backpacks, hats, etc. using the house
paint and brushes in a dry brush stenciling technique. We also make rubber
stamps out of the cheap crafts thin foam pieces that you can buy at AC
Moore, by cutting out shapes and glueing them onto pieces of cardboard.
These rubber stamps "enhance" our stenciling by adding another dimension. I
also encouraged them to take masking tape to block out an area on their
shirt, buy painting a rectangle of a lighter color onto which they would
take another color to stencil, and a third color to rubber stamp. As an
example I made a stencil of a doric column (AP Art History again), which I
stenciled onto a background, and then made a rubber stamp of a huge fish
which I put on top of the column.

San D