[teacherartexchange] "fruit" artist and first days lessons

---------

From: MERRILEE GLADKOSKY (gladrag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 01:14:13 PDT

When you describe working with the strawberry my mind
goes straight to Andy Warhol's soup cans and Jim
Dine's hearts. Not because they painted fruit but for
their variations on a theme. Don't forget the work of
the older masters who did those incredible still
lives. Cezanne and his plums, etc., are great stuff,
but there are other still lives of fruit that you
could zoom in on the specifics of and create a
powerpoint or such to work from.
You could also bring in comparisons from scientific
illustration and observational drawing. Drawing the
strawberry accurately from a scientific illustrator's
point of view (and job description) as opposed to an
expressionist interpretation of the berry.....that
could be some fun!
Just some random thoughts.

As far as first day lessons, I'm going towards
observational drawings as well as looking at what
"Art" is.....each at specific grade level objectives.
My goal is to really infuse response to art with
producing art from K-6. After nearly 30 years of
teaching I'm finally learning what my personal
philosophy of art ed is. It's getting alittle clearer
in my mind, anyway. This whole career has been a huge
learning process and process of evolution for me. I
continue to love doing it!

Merrilee in CT