[teacherartexchange] budget/red tape ideas?

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 18:24:28 PDT

I am very lucky to be in a good public school district
which has recently allocated a huge chunk of money for
the art program. My room is in terrible shape
(original everything circa 1960 and falling apart).
Due to the grant, I am able to replace a lot and get
things more into shape, but some things are somehow
excluded. Mainly, my main beef is with the "skin
curtains". You heard me, "skin". I have beautiful
giant windows the are HUGE and everywhere, but
covered with a massive amount of rubber textured
curtains that are skin colored. For some reason this
is not something covered by the grant to replace and I
have spent the day going everywhere on a fabric hunt.
Even the cheapest fabric is going to set me back about
$1000 out of pocket (and that would be if I sew the
curtains also). I am willing to put some money out of
my own pocket and even sew them, but $1000 is too much
for me to justify. I have thought about the ideas of
fundraising, finding a company to "sponsor us" as a
school partnership PR thing, asking the kids to donate
a few dollars to get rid of them, and talking with my
principal (which I have already done and also with the
head of our arts programming in the district). I just
thought I'd throw this out there on the off chance
that someone had a brilliant idea or similar
experience they found a solution to. Thanks for any
thoughts! Jen