Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] on Paper Batiking

From: lia johnson (johnsolia_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 10:36:46 PDT

Hello all...I Have been catching up on reading my emails. I finished
before responding to this as I figured someone else would mention it.
Sadly, rubber cement is very toxic and I would recommend not using it
with school age children. There are some alternatives for it....when
using it as an adhesive though I have never found them as great to
use. Most dye sources sell a liquid block that works simularly...but
I am not sure if these are toxic as well. To protect yourself and
your students I would avoid using rubber cement. Here are some links
for further info. lia

On 8/6/07, leah rachlis <> wrote:
> I know this has been a while, but I have been out of town.
> I am a bit of a batik buff - AND - I found and inexpensive, low-maintenance
> alternative to Wax/Dye Batik, on paper, using Rubber Cement as a resist -
> and liquid water colors instead of dyes - I've done this with 6th - 12th
> graders, and the results were stunning.
> I have also done wax batik with groups as young as 5th grade, and have many
> nightmares to share - like the day the crock pot caught on
> ire... -greetings from Colorado,
> Leah
> PS: had a 2nd job offer today - school starts the day after tomorrow!!!!!
> tomorrow looks to be a very exciting day!
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

To unsubscribe go to