Re: [teacherartexchange] jewelry curriculum

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 18:26:22 PDT

What skills the new teacher has and what equipment is available is pretty important to know. I have been teaching jewelry for about 5 years and have slowly accumulated tools and equipment. The first year I scrownged all over--I found a metal recycle place and bought copper and whatever they had. Metal prices have gone off the charts so I usually have the kids learn stuff with nickle and copper. When I pull out silver it's the end of the year and they have some skills. I organize my class by what I consider sort of linear progression of skills I want them to know: sawing, annealing, stamping, soldering, sweat soldering, bezels. I make up assignments based on the skills, so a first assignment would be to saw out a shape with a negative space design within in that is sawed out, then stamp, drill a hole, make a jump ring and hook and eye closure and learn to polish. My problem is that I only have one torch so I usually have several assignments running at the same time, like make clay beads-fire-glaze-re
fire string with beading wire--or ideas that I have gotten on this list, like make a shrinky book that is a necklace or make a small pot and then cover with wax and bead a la Huichols. Those work as fillers to keep everyone busy. Spend time looking at jewelry mags like Jewelry Artist. They have wonderful ideas and explain lots of projects and techniques. When your person gets there, I would be happy to help them out. Sid

>>> "Pam Wellington" <loveart@hotmail.com> 08/11/07 7:07 AM >>>
My high school is starting a new jewelry class. The teacher who was going to
teach it, and had extensive experience, is no longer working here and a
brand new teacher straight out of college will be teaching it. She has no
experience. Does anyone have an outline for a high school jewelry course?
Lesson ideas? It will be traditional jewelry making metal working
techniques. Any help or suggestions are welcome. I taught it over 10 years
ago so I know a bit but am rusty in my skills.
Thanks!
Pam Wellington