Re: [teacherartexchange] the new adventures of the old art teacher (idea for art club)

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 09:26:48 PDT

Dear Anne and anyone else who is interested,

I teach 1st - 8th grade art at a catholic school in Grayslake, IL. Where are you in Illinois?
I sponsor an after school art club for my 5th - 8th graders. One of the activities that I started the first year, painting ceiling tiles, has turned into somewhat of a tradition that the kids, parents, administration and teachers all look forward to each year. Most of our school has 2' X 4' drop ceiling tiles so I use some of the art club money to purchase blank tiles (we do not use the really expensive ones that originally covered the ceilings). Each art club student selects a famous work of art to reproduce or they create their own images (my favorite kind) for their tile. We use an opaque projector to enlarge and project the image onto the blank tile and the student traces around each shape. Then they use acrylic to paint them. A lot of times we have a little extra space above and/or below the image. They usually paint this area a solid color and then add their name and if they selected a famous work of art they add the name of the original
 artist and the title of the painting. When the tiles are done they are laid out around the art room so that the teachers and administration can stop by and select the tile(s) that they would like to have on their ceiling (first come first serve). The kids love seeing their tiles on the ceiling all around the school. The ceiling in the art room is nearly full.
I am planning to change it up a little next year. In order to enrich the experience even more and to help get the teachers even more involved in the activity I am going to have the students seek out a "patron" (one of the teachers or someone in the office or one of the custodians, etc.). The "patron" would not actually pay the student to create the work of art, but would work with the artist to come up with an idea for the art and help to encourage the artist. Ideally the tiles would go into the room or office of the patron. I still have to work out all of the details to pull this off, but I think it will make this traditional art club project even more exciting.
Well, that turned out to be a longer message than I was planning, but thanks for reading it all.

Kimberly