Re: [teacherartexchange] the new adventures of the old art teacher

---------

From: Susan Bennett (seasideblueviolet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 07:00:03 PDT

Anne,
I too have done the switch in my fifties. I teach two
elementary classes in the am and then go to the high
school for 3 art classes for the rest of the day. I do
art clubs at both schools.

I find that both of my art clubs have their
similarities and differences. Without a doubt engaging
the students into an art activity is very successful,
even if it is rather crafty at times. With my younger
group we did large murals for 5 years focusing on the
school character building words, like honesty,
honor...etc. I find that as those became our target
members stopped coming as much. They like doing art
for themselves it seems, or so they have told
me..However presenting it to the school was always a
big hit. One year we made a large dragon to go along
with a theme for a Peace program, another year a
Friendship Peace Garden with life size pa-pier mac he
people and lots of animals. We looked at paintings and
sculpture to give us ideas. This was a long time
before our current war.

High school art club I share with another art teacher.
Our most successful events have been, a "Pumpkin
decorating contest...paints not carving, face
apointing at distric art festival, and practice prior
to the event, a planned trip to the art museum, a trip
arranged for several days to another city..so far,
Washington DC, Chicago and Pittsburg. Outside tours of
the area sculpture, drawing and painting ourdoors,
visiting artists. We had local artist Willis Bing
Davis and his son Derrick Davis come this year in
conjunction with an exhibit they had in our gallery
and one across the street in a city gallery,(that I
volunteer to do..am on city art council.) We even were
able to produce a half hour tv production with them.
The students really love just getting together to make
art and be around others who also make art.

A BIG BONUS is having students again in class. Many of
the high school students I now see, I have known since
1st grade! A very nice thing!You will enjoy this! Have
fun!
Susan in Ohio