RE: [teacherartexchange] the new adventures of the old art teacher

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 05:14:10 PDT

1. What do you wish you'd known before you sponsored Art Club (or
any club or activity)? The amount of hours that it would take to make the
club 'viable and credible'. I make sure to avoid "teaching" anything to the
art club that would be taught in my classes. I teach in a high school, and
if kids could just learn it in art club, why would they take an art class in
their schedule? Our art club is service related, and up until 2 years ago
(before the ongoing construction) we ran an art gallery. This year we will
reinstitute the art club, although the building construction is not done.
Our first project will be to build a parade puppet (think "opening
ceremonies of any Olympics") to help open up our brand new football field
under the brand new lights.

2. What do you see as the benefits or drawbacks, if any, of
changing grade levels? The only experience I have had with this is when a
colleague from the elementary school, "came up" to teach an extra art class
on the high school level. She had trouble introducing the concept to herself
and to the students of making art around the "big idea", and take the time
to develop these ideas beyond the "project" level. Also, on the high school
level, I like to develop projects that tie into each other, and that are
"linear" in thought, not jumping from one thing to another. Her "projects"
didn't flow, and she had a hard time "ramping up" to the level of the high
school students. That said, she is a wonderful teacher, and couldn't wait to
get back to just teaching elementary. (I must interject to say I could NEVER
teach elementary). As I say to my students, "she had eyes" and could see
that her students' work was missing something.

3. What advice do you have for a "new old girl?" Patience, and a sense of
humor.

San D

Thank you.

Anne C-H in Illinois