Re: [teacherartexchange] Setting up a classroom

---------

cans54_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 16:05:07 PDT

That's great that you have the opportunity to set up the art room in a
way that you choose; too often those decisions are made by individuals
that have absolutely no idea of the impact their poor choices have on
your program. I did have the opportunity to purchase new tables five
years ago and worked with a supply rep who had a solid business
relationship with my district. He was able to arrange for me to visit
other school districts or provide me with the names of other teachers
so that I could inspect possible equipment locally. That was invaluable
to me as I was able to get solid recommendations for tables and the
like from people doing the same thing I was.
In considering your equipment, I think it's important to consider what
types of things your students will be doing; how many students will you
need to accommodate in any one period of time; storage and clean-up. I
do a fair amount of ceramics and printmaking and need tables that had a
solid base . I also have my students move their work tables to
accommodate our processes .I chose a laminate table top with a heavy
welded frame. Nothing with braces held in place by screws- too many
times someone will figure out a way to undo them from an upright
position.
On storage, don't forget to have someplace for students to deposit
their other belongings in a neat and orderly fashion.
Hope this helps.
Cyndi (Illinois)