Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] High School Clay Sculpture Course

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 17:26:57 PDT

>A new school year soon arrives, and I am teaching a one semester Clay
>Sculpture course (high school). I'm looking for ideas from all you
>who may teach this.
>In advance, I thank you!

In my experience, live models in the form of animals, birds, lizards, people, etc. have always been highly motivational, teach observation skills, and avoids the need to copy. Hollow forms are first produced by wrapping clay over crushed newspaper cores that are shaped a bit like the animal body and taped into a form that is close to the final form. The paper allows shrinkage and does not have to be removed.

For ideas of a more imaginary nature see these two sites.

Abstract expressionism

To unsubscribe go to