Re: [teacherartexchange] High School Clay Sculpture Course

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 16:48:31 PDT

If I assume that this is a beginner's class and that
you are working in a ceramics studio with a kiln, you
could structure the class is a variety of ways
depending on drive, budget, your own famililiarity
with clay, and the ability of your students. You may
wish to start with some small projects exploring
different building techniques such as slab, coil, coil
and scrape, and combinations of these processes. have
students sketch out plans for various projects such as
creating a shoe, hat, or utalitarian object in slab
form, then create a template in paper, and from there
construct it in clay, etc. You could introduce
different types of clay (red clay, stoneware, etc.),
and various glazing techniques and products such as
underglaze, slip casting, raku, etc. Or you may take
the opportunity to do a class based on public artwork
and use the course to create a sculpture for your
school's courtyard, library, etc. This is obviously
the more difficult way to go if you cannot rely on
your students to follow through with complete help.
I've done two different ceramic murals at two
different schools, one with support, the other on my
own. If you choose to do a project like this alone,
just make sure that you start small. Don't be too
abitious and you can taylor future classes based on
that experience. Hope that helps.