[teacherartexchange] Setting up a classroom

---------

From: jjennifer west (jenniferjoycewest_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 16:13:18 PDT

Sorry to bug, but I only had one response to my former
question asking for more specifics about my situation,
I thought I might give it one more try. I am an
experienced teacher coming into a new public middle
school. Students are 6th-8th grade, and there is a
large sum of money from a grant just waiting for me.
The art room is archaic and needs just about
everything replaced. I want to start with tables and
chairs, but am concerned about tales of destructive
students. Apparently many of my soon to be students
are quite fond of breaking everything and anything and
are very creative in how they do so. Obviously this
is an issue to be addressed on a larger level, but
because of this, I am unsure of the type of furniture
I should purchase. Is a steel table better than wood,
or laminate? Should I buy stools or plastic molded
chairs? I'm interested in hearing from people about
thier experiences with students and art room furniture.