[teacherartexchange] Book on Dean Mitchell

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 15:31:10 PDT

from: Alice Thorson, art critic Kansas City Star

As exposure goes, Dean Mitchell is having a stellar summer. In mid-
May he opened an exhibit of new work, “Celebrating New Orleans,” at
Bryant Galleries in New Orleans. Now Mitchell is working out the
details for one-person museum shows at the Cornell Museum in Delray,
Fla., and the Canton Museum of Art in Canton, Ohio.

But the most gratifying recognition of his life and work is a new
children’s book, Against All Odds: Artist Dean Mitchell’s Story, by
Betty R. James.

“The lady who wrote it is from my hometown (of Quincy, Fla.),”
Mitchell said. “She’s a teacher and her husband is superintendent of
schools in the Gadsden County area. She was taken by my whole story
and thought it was pretty miraculous.”

“I grew up in Pepper Hill,” Mitchell said, “a poor section where art
was not looked on by anybody as a way of making a living. I’m such an
unlikely candidate to have gotten this far in the art world.”

Father & Son Publishing in Tallahassee, Fla., will release the book
soon, Mitchell said.

But he won’t be in Kansas City when it comes out.

This summer Mitchell sold his house in Kansas. He will be settling
permanently in Tampa, Fla., to be closer to family and his Southern
roots.

For a link to the publisher: http://www.fatherson.com/
book_details.asp?id=25959

                                                                        Woody

For those who have not heard of Dean Mitchell:

http://www.greenwichworkshop.com/studio/studio_artist.asp?artistid=45

and his art:

http://www.greenwichworkshop.com/thumbnails/default.asp?
a=45&detailtype=artist