Re: [teacherartexchange] Greek Mythology...

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 13:52:41 PDT

On Aug 8, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Rie Create wrote:

> Looking to teach Greek Mythology to high school students... in a
> different way. Has anyone found a way to 'hook' the students on the
> topic? Up until now I've taught elementary students... but they are
> incredibly easy to enthuse ;-)

Funny thing. I couldn't sleep this morning so I was making lists of
courses I would like to have in the art department. One was a
Mythology course.
I think a hook may be Joseph Campbell ( Hero with a Thousand Faces)
This website offers how Star Wars and Matrix fit into the Campbell
scheme.

http://www.spookybug.com/origins/myth.html

I could watch and watch the Bill Moyer's PBS interview with Campbell
over and over. It's too much for kids, but there could be wonderful
edited moments. Campbell in one episode, does talk about Lucas and
Star Wars

The hook is the "archetypes" and there is a common underlying truth
through all cultures and ages. Look at comic book heros and see how
they correlate.

Love the idea

Patty