Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 06, 2007

---------

From: Ted and Patti Siegel (ted_siegel_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2007 - 06:15:30 PDT

On 8/7/07 2:01 AM, "TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest"
<teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> wrote:

> I thought I would reply to every one. Empty bowls is a legitimate site. It
> is what the site says it is. You can have a supper fundraiser... you can
> just sell the bowls. The money goes to your local food bank. It is a
> potter's thing. Took me 7 years from the time I heard about it to the time
> we actually did it. You can advertise your event on the site.
> emptybowl.com
>
> While speaking of wonderful things.... pinwheelsforpeace.com
>
> It is a transforming thing to do. Who thought peace was such a political
> word.? r in Maine cleaning for my inlaws who are coming to visit...
> eeeeeeeekkkkk

I've done Empty Bowls here in St. Louis for two years now through a local
charity called Operation Food Search. They put on an "Empty Bowl" event
(without the soup & bread) at a local mall. Several high schools and some of
the colleges are involved and also professional potters. They raise a lot of
money this way for food banks and it is easier for me because I don't have
to organize the event. The downside is that the kids are only involved in
the production side. If organizing the actual Empty Bowl event seems
daunting you might consider teaming up with other schools or your local
charity working against hunger. They might not exist in rural areas, but I'm
sure most large urban/suburban areas have some kind of counterpart to our
Operation Food Search here.
Patti S.
St. Louis MO