[teacherartexchange] Student teacher guide

---------

From: Marian Colman (mcolman2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2007 - 04:06:33 PDT

Hi Marcia,
I have been a cooperating teacher as well as a university supervisor
for student teachers. Creating a "welcome" packet is very helpful
for the ST. In this packet, I include the following: Duties &
responsibilities, daily schedule, expectation of professional dress,
length of teacher work day, emergency contact phone numbers and email
addresses, discipline plan, district calendar, floor plan of the
school, special procedures such as parking and signing in, snow days
etc., and special dates for assemblies or any other events that would
affect the normal teaching schedule. I also allocate a desk or
designated area within the classroom for the ST to call his or her
own. This helps with organizational skills and creates a sense of
belonging for the ST. I would also like to recommend Pam Stephen's
Student Teacher Survival Guide which appears in School Arts each
month. I have found these short but concise articles to be very
informative on many different topics. Good luck,
Marian