[teacherartexchange] slump bowl and Chinese stylized landscape scrolls

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 16:18:40 PDT

Dear Chris...
The landscape scrolls take off from the 6 basic marks that the art students
learned when making Phrases in Art One. I used several books, and culled
hand outs showing some the a marks used to create a Chinese pictogram. I
have photo copied from a variety of sources and have bought about 8-9
books that introduce simple ink sumi-like landscapes. I took a lovely mini
class with a man Donald Blue as well. On 9 x 18 long strips of news
print, student work on combining marks to create images holding the brush
high and using the mark vocabulary that they have. I have piles of actual
real landscapes and birds, animals that have composition and feel like a
traditional ink painting.

They select their strongest pieces and using strips of paste paper,They
edge them, using a bit of glue. I am sorry I have no photos now but I am
going to try to use artsonia this year and will post some then. The top
and bottom strips are wider and have room to glue a pocket to slide a dowel
in. The top one has a ribbon tied and a pony bead glued on end to hold the
ribbon on.

The slump bowls are very simple. roll a thinnish slab. Drape it over a
study balloon that has been secured to a cheap bowl with 4 bits of tape.
When the slab has stiffened enough flip it off the balloon. It is done or
you can attach feet, incise into it etc. Than they can be bique fired than
glazed.
Randy in Maine