Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] National Puppetry Festival at St. Paul

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 12:12:17 PDT

San D, I'm so interested in this whole thing..I got on the site but I
kept getting blogs
about going to the convention--I couldn't seem to get any puppet
Tell me more about it? Do you just do this with an outside of school
puppet group?
What kind of puppets are you using? Sid

>>> "KPRS2" <> 7/24/2007 10:06 am >>>
Hi all
  I just came back from 6 days at the Puppeteers of America Puppet
The Puppet Festival was AWESOME, OMG! I can't believe all that we saw
did. In has energized me ( I may NEVER retire!), and will take our
puppeteering to a whole new level. Harrison (a sophomore in my high
and my head puppeteer) and I have designed our new show for next year,
we ain't your regular puppeteers no more. We saw the best of the best
in the
world, and more surprisingly to us, these master craftsmen/women stayed
the same dorms as we did, went to the same classes we did, and when
weren't performing they went to the same performances we did. They were
accesible to everyone, and even came up to Harrison to congratulate him
being a scholarship winner and welcoming him into the puppet arts. One
the festival did do for us was to verify that we are on the right track
how we are growing, and given us purpose and direction. The festival
resonated with my love for theater, and showed us many ways that we
bring theater into what we do, and take it past our vaudvillian
While we now recognize that we were going in that direction, we realize
we had been tailoring our shows to the 4 minute Teen Arts Format, and
limited what we could do. While we will never get to the 30 minutes +
(because we know our immediate audiences couldn't sustain that) we will
up to 15-20 minutes with a narrative, and a strong ending. What I have
doing with the puppet club was honing their skills and I think they
ready for the next step. We plan to make a video of our next show and
put it
up on youtube, and also use it for Harrison's portfolio for college.
we were there we found out that most professional puppeteers can be
into three camps, puppeteering for children's parties/schools,
for adult conventions/parties, or art puppeteering for audiences who
actually Go to a puppet theater. While we have been thrust occasionally
children's work, we now realize that is not our focus, and we don't
guilty about that anymore. And to that end, we both took workshops (we
to presign up for them, so I think we instinctively knew that we had to
on) that will let us focus on the art/theater element. I learned to
heads by making silicone molds, and Harrison learned how to make a
table top
bunraku puppet (it is awesome), and to cast in plaster molds. We
allowed to take pictures or to take videos during the festival, but
here is
a link that shows you some of what we saw.
Click on Puppet Rampage, I think there are 6 little videos.

I know I have just been to something very magical, and that Harrison's
will never be the same.

San D