re:[teacherartexchange] photo lesson plan

---------

From: Richard Gross (ralight_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 14:14:33 PDT

Hi Kim,

I am a photography high school teacher, who teaches
photography. I too am entering the digital age of
photography as budget allows. I think its great that
you?re taking workshop courses on digital photography,
you?ll get a lot of good ideas.

I?d like to make a few comments and add a few
suggestions about digital /photography.

First of all photography is like any other art
discipline, based on the elements of design and
fundamentals of composition and should be taught as
such. As you think of assignments for your students,
don?t get sidetracked or preoccupied with the digital
aspect of photography, keep in mind we?re art
teachers. I always try to stress the art of
photography, not just the technical process.

Secondly, if you also teach conventional photography,
then it should be realized that about 85% of what is
taught (and learned) about conventional photography
can be applied directly to digital photography. This
is true in part of my previous comments. Vocabulary
and basic concepts of photography are universal
whether we?re dealing with conventional or digital
photography.

The basic concepts of photography have not and will
not change. These basic concepts were true 150 years
ago, today and for years to come in the future.
Photography will always be based on the need to have
an apparatus (camera of some sorts), to take the
picture, some means of recording that image (whether
it be glass plate, negative or chip), and lastly there
will always have to be some form of display of the
image, whether it be daguerreotype, gelatin print, ink
jet print or computer screen.

With these basics in mind, you can use and convert
almost any conventional photography lesson plan into a
lesson plan for digital photography.

Some concerns to keep in mind with digital photography
are as follows:

        If you?re using point and shoot digital cameras,
there is a delay between the time the shutter resale
button is pushed and the actual shutter exposing the
image. This makes it difficult for any kind of stop
action photograph or ?the decisive moment?. By the
time the shutter goes off the picture you had in mind
is gone.

        Software will play can play a big part in digital
photography. What software will you use, how will
students learn it, use it, etc.

        Hard copy printing is great but can be expensive.
Budget becomes a factor, can students supply their own
photo ink jet paper, how ill ink jet cartridges be
paid for.

I would be more than happy to share lesson plans with
you and offer any future advise.

If it sounds like I know what I?m taking about, it
because I do. Teaching photography in public school
is a second career for me, having been a commercial
photographer for 25 years.

Richard Gross
CA