Re: [teacherartexchange] online image searches

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 15:38:41 PDT

I NEVER do a blind image search at school in front of students. The filters
are not 100% effective, and you never know what is going to show up. If I
search at home I have a 50-50 chance of being able to access that site at
school. What I do is to save what I want to share with students on my jump
drive and then pull it up on the computer to share, or I print it out on
transparancy film and put it on the overhead (depends on the classroom and
technology access on what I do). It is not necessarilly illegal to be
showing those images - school filters are more focused on blocking
inappropriate content, and they aren't always accurate. If there is a
website that is blocked at school and I have reviewed it and want my
students to access it at school I ask our tech guy to unblock that site.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids