[teacherartexchange] Autistic Group

---------

From: Julie Jacobusse (JacobusseJulie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 17:50:17 PDT

Hey all! I need your input. I have a Kindergaden class of 18 that has
been scheduled along with an autistic class of 8 all together for 40
minutes. The K class is the neediest of all the K classes. Some can
not write their names and at least 5 have behavior problems and do not
follow directions. The autistic group ages range from K-5th grades.
Most are well behaved, 1 walks around the room, one makes a lot of
noises and distracts others. There is one that is very talented in art
and loves to draw-I know I have seen autistic kids art and love it. I
have my classroom set up in a U shape. The autistic teacher wanted all
8 of her students to sit at 2 of my color tables and then the other K
students all sit at the other 4 color groups. The last few classes seem
to have been going better, however clean-up needs to get better. In all
my other classes I have 1 color table clean and pick up supplies while
the others sit quietly. I can't do this with this class, so last time I
said I was looking for helpers and had a few K students clean, but then
the autistic kids got confused. Some of the K kids with held supplies
from those picking up and then were later yelling-here is another red
crayon accross the room, etc. I am considering having the autistic kids
line up while the K kids clean up. I e-mailed the autistic teacher and
she said her kids are capable of doing the clean-up, however the 2 para
pro's that come in with them said maybe 1 or 2 were. The para's only
sit and stay with the autistic students. I feel like I have 2 different
classes all in the same class and want to bring it together since they
are meeting together. All of my other classes are going great, but I am
still concerned about this group and want it to be a good expereince for
all of us. I tried to change the schedule, but according to my
principal, this is the only way. If any of you have lesson ideas or
suggestions about clean-up let me know.

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and value your insights.

Thanks,
Julie in Georgia

PS-First day of school was August 3, last day is the last full week of
May-sometimes first few days of June.